You Loved Me At My Darkest

You Loved Me At My Darkest - Evie Harper I don’t really know what I was expecting from this book. Whatever it was, Evie Harper has blown it out of the water. You Loved Me at My Darkest was so suspenseful I chewed off all my fingernails…really. I could not leave this book alone until I knew how it ended. This book really should serve as a warning, and perhaps a bit of a wake up for those of us untouched by the horrors of the underground sex slave trade. This story is a bit scary.

This book is about Lily who runs a ranch in Australia with her sister. They head off on an American vacation, first stop New York. These sisters are so cute together, you can tell they really love and depend on one another. Things get really dark when they are both kidnapped and find themselves as slaves for a sicko “collector.” He collects girls and auctions them off to the highest bidder for one night a month. The ones he doesn’t keep for his collection go to auction as slaves, for god knows what. Lily and her sister end up separated. Their fight for survival had me up into the wee hours flipping tough my kindle until I couldn’t keep my eyes open anymore.

Jake is the man tasked with guarding Lily. He is to make sure she eats, sleeps, doesn’t escape, and doesn’t hurt herself. Jake has been working for four years to accomplish his goal. He can’t let this one “collection piece” get in his way. But, the attraction is undeniable for either of them. Even in the most unlikely place, love can bloom. They both risk so much for a little bit of joy together. There are lives at stake in this and neither one of them can let go of their end goal. It was really interesting that the author kept me guessing if Jake was a good guy who had a change of heart or a bad guy indulging in the goods for a while. I don’t want to spoil anything for you, dear reader, so let me stop right there. I will just say, this book was a suspenseful page turner and an endearing love story.

The best part for me about this book, beside the hot sex that happens, was the awesome testament to the human spirit that it delivered. Even when all seems lost, this girl Lily still had moxie to keep fighting. Jake starts off being the reluctant hero for Lily. He gives her company but little else at first. Her situation seems so desperate and she has no one that can help her. She was pretty powerless throughout most of the story, but she kept focusing on her sister and on getting out. She is the heroine I want to root for. Don’t lay down and accept your fate, keep fighting till the bitter end. I think readers will find Lily and unexpected heroine, and that is exactly what she is.