Rampant

Rampant - Gemma James After reading the first book in this series, Torrent, I knew I had to get my hands on Rampant. This is the continuation of Alex’s story. Her twisted love for Rafe, and her desperation to get away from her brother-in-law, Zach. I chewed all my nails off reading this story. The Condemned Series is the most addictive reading I have done this year so far…

This story picks right up at the ending of Torrent. Alex is being taken away by her brother Zach. She thinks Rafe is dead. He isn’t dead, he has amnesia from the fight with Zach. The fall made him forget the last eight years of his life. He now has to rely on those people around him to figure out how he got to this point. While he is busy trying to put the pieces back together, Zach has claimed absolute control over Alex. She is trapped in a cabin with her sick brother. The things he does to her made my stomach turn. I want him dead, not just gone. He has their father in his pocket and the law. There seems to be no escape for Alex and then she does the unthinkable. At least, Zach never saw it coming. Rafe finally connects the dots enough to seek Alex out, but it might be too late to undo what has been done.

I have to say that Gemma has created some really fucked up characters that break taboos. Her heroine, Alex, is kidnapped, raped, tortured, drugged all in the name of love. This poor girl is in the wrong family, the wrong town, the wrong time. I feel so bad for her. She didn’t have a choice. Just like I now have not choice but to wait, with baited breath, for the next book in this series. I can see that Gemma covers all the angles of escape for Alex. This story was well thought out. I am addicted to these characters.

There is so much angst in this book. I am not even going to talk about the sex scenes in this book because some of them were not consensual. When it comes to the scenes where both parties are down, the words almost melt off the page. Rafe and Alex are so hot together. I want them to have a happy ending. This book ending on a cliff and so I dangle waiting for the next installment. It doesn’t seem likely that these two can be together with everything that stands in their way. I know this story can find a way. I am anxiously waiting to see what happens in the next book. Bring it, Gemma!