I Want It That Way

I Want It That Way - Ann Aguirre I know my opinion on this book is not going to be popular. I thought the few reviews I read for this book made it look stellar, or maybe it was just this one comment from a fellow reviewer that set me on a mission to read this book for review. Either way, I want my time back. I Want It That Way was a book that lost my interest. I should have trusted my instincts about the title. (yes, it is lyrics to a song by Backstreet Boys, ugh!)

Review: I Want It That Way by Ann Aguirre
Karen Blue | 21/08/2014 | 2 stars, Harlequin HQN, new adult, Romance | No Comments

I Want it That Way

addtogoodreads

Since I didn’t really like this book, my review goes into great detail. Sorry in advance about the length.

Let us start with Nadia. Nadia is a college student who moves into the building with three roommates. Their downstairs neighbor is Ty. Nadia is studying in college for a degree in special education. She works at a daycare. The author goes into so much detail about Nadia’s workday, I got daycare job flashbacks. Ugh, I hated that job. There is something so unholy about dealing with other peoples preschoolers all day. Not to mention it is very boring to hear all the details about nap time and finger painting. So Nadia, although witty, is not a cool character.

Ty is the love interest, but he is also not very interesting. Ty is a single Dad with a 4 year old. He is taking classes at night in order to get a promotion. Ty isn’t ready for a full blown commitment, (who is really?). I get that he was trying to protect his son, but ugh. Ty is probably the most boring love interest ever. He doesn’t go out. He just goes to work and school and spends time reading “Goodnight Moon” to his kid. I mean, I loved that this guy was a single Dad. He was trying to raise his kid and not get all strung out over some chic. That’s great. They don’t have much time for each other. They don’t have great conversation, or really anything, other than a physical attraction.

Review: I Want It That Way by Ann Aguirre

I Want it That Way

addtogoodreads

The book starts with Nadia and her friend trying to move a couch up stairs. Its funny and an icebreaker for Nadia and Ty. The author introduces Ty as being someone standoffish and we get to see why once we meet his kid and realize he doesn’t really want to be living under college kids. I like this book a first. I was intrigued by the cast of characters and wanted to see something develop in these two. Ty and Nadia agree after much back and forth, that they will just be friends with benefits. So basically they, (do what grown ups do), see each other while they both try to figure out if this is going to work. Reading about such a boring relationship didn’t peak my interest. I just don’t get what was so great about this guy, other than that he is a single Dad. Its a bit lame to like him for that status. It is also lame to not give us some good conversation, or common interests, or mind blowing hair pulling sex, that make a reader swoon. Okay, there was some sex but it just wasn’t mind blowing sex, it was basic sex.

The love interest was too boring for my taste. There was some well written parts and the roommates were a bit entertaining. It just killed me to read all about her angst at Ty’s “predicament”. Ty pretty much forced his ex to have a baby when she wasn’t ready, and now he is upset she left him with the child he really wanted. Sometimes you get what you want, but not the way you want. I just didn’t enjoy all the issues with these two people. The relationship, which was the whole premise of the book, was too boring for me. To sum it up; they are really attracted and in denial, and then they come to an agreement, and I bet you can guess what happens next…I could.