Broken: A Memoir of Sorts

Broken: A Memoir of Sorts - Nikki Blue I devoured this book, as painful as some of it was. I feel like I just got off a roller-coaster. This was a book worth reading.

Nikki tells this story of love and pain with such honesty. I read this book entirely in two days. I felt bad for her throughout the story. I hated and fell in love with him right along with him. Nikki’s story is worth telling, if only as a cautionary tale. I think it is more than that. This book is a survivors story. It is heartbreaking and eye opening that someone so young could be put through so much. This story struck a cord and triggered me to rethink through my own scars. Until you are in the thick of it, it doesn’t make sense to love a man like that. I have been there, in love with danger and lost. Reality is so messy.

Get this book and read it. If only so you can judge for yourself how strong the character of Nikki is. Her writing flows off the page as she takes us on the journey of her first love. This mistake of a relationship had so many facets: the small town life, the hateful girls at school, the work it took it her to fix things, and the blame and shame of being battered. The mental abuse that she endures is an undertone that I recognize as something all men like that must possess to keep things under control. It’s amazing. I can’t wait to devour the next installment of her memoirs.