Interred (Chronicles of the Interred, Book One)

Interred (Chronicles of the Interred, Book One) - Marilyn Almodóvar This book was so fun to read and imagine. Interred was a great escape from reality with enough twists and turns to keep me guessing. This book is very intriguing and comes complete with a heirloom ghost. This book is great combination of fantasy, time bending, magic, and romance in a nice YA package.

Meet Baxter, a soon to be 16 year old girl whose life is about to take a dramatic turn for the weird. Her pregnant mother is approached by a cousin who announces that a distant relative has died. She inherits a house in England, and her daughter inherits the magical gifts of the family. Baxter’s new gifts include Time Bending and a spirit named Declan that is bound to her. Oh and she gets a healer named Jack as a partner. Baxter just has to go to this “ball”, get interred, and then live through the tests. No big deal, right? Buckle up readers, this is a bumpy ride!

The cover for this book tells so much of the story. I fell right into this story. Once I pick a book for review, I don’t refer back to the synopsis to remind myself what it is about. I prefer to trust my prior judgement and be surprised. I picked a winner in this series. Interred is the first book in The Chronicles of the Interred, Fissure is next book and that review is coming on Tuesday. I loved the action. I loved the shifting from time line to time line. I loved that she gets a healer to escort her. He is bound to her as much as she is to him. Baxter is an outsider at the ball. Everyone wants to get to know her or kill her for the powers she possesses. She has a lot of catching up to do, so she spends a lot of time reading about the family histories and getting info from Declan. Declan is this ghost spirit that was trapped by her ancestor for protection. His job is to guide Baxter to a place where she is able to release him. His motive is clear throughout the story. Jack’s job is to heal her after they travel through time. This book takes us back in time giving us clues into family motivation. Then it plunges back into the time of the interment.

The only thing I can complain about in this story is that when the time travel starts happening, it gets a bit confusing. I listened to part of this book and I needed to go back to figure out when we were at a few times. I think just straight reading it might not have been such a problem for me, but I am a multitasking fool. Also, I didn’t like some of the loss in this book. Like most YA books, we deal with some heavy issues. I just kept thinking poor Baxter, and poor Jack. I felt that these issues weren’t dealt with adequately. I am hoping some of the issues of loss are resolved in the next book. (she is a time bender, after all) I guess we’ll see.

Baxter is a really resilient girl. It was cool learning all about her abilities right along with her. This world doesn’t follow all the typical time bending rules. Baxter meets up with key players in the distant past and alters things in her world. I am so excited about this story and eager to get to the next in this series. This book ends on a twist. I have so many unanswered questions and this book ends on a cliff. I am hanging on tight.