The Cure for Dreaming

The Cure for Dreaming - Cat Winters I didn’t really know what to expect from The Cure for Dreaming. Once I got into the reading I was pleasantly surprised. I don’t usually read historic fiction. I didn’t think I would like that genre. It turns out that I really enjoyed being swept into the past. I liked a book without any sex or work worries. I enjoyed reading about a time before women even had the right to vote. I enjoyed this book about the magic of dreams and hypnotism.

Olivia Mead is a girl ahead of her time. The story starts off with Olivia at a show of a hypnotist called Henri Reverie. Olivia gets called up the stage and “volunteers” to fall deep under his spell. This is her first meeting with Henri, but certainly not her last. The characters of Olivia and Henri are totally on the mark as far as the time period suggests. They don’t do anything I found to be unbelievable. Except maybe for the ease of which Olivia is hypnotized by Henri.

Olivia is progressive girl/woman and tries to stand up for women’s rights. She even goes so far as to attend a protest, (oh the scandal!). She is caught by her father who gets a brilliant idea. He hires Henri to hypnotize Olivia to be a more subservient woman. Let the drama begin! Even though Olivia is a girl in the 1900s, she is in no way going to be forced into submission. The author did a stellar job of portraying a girl of that time and gives the reader a accurate view of what rebellion in that age would actually look like. When Henri hypnotizes her into submission, she is given a view of the world as it actually is.

Keep telling the world what you see. Help others to see it, too.

The strange/fascinating era of magic and prudish behavior was enchanting. The relationship between Henri and Olivia is one of innocence, making this book something really unique. Olivia’s noble tale of dreaming and rebellion from sufferage made me a big fan. I wanted her to get all that her heart desires: education, the right to vote, and the right to make her voice heard. I cherished the Susan B. Anthony quotes scattered throughout this tale, which were a really charming touch. I loved that she did as much of the saving as the boy in this book. Olivia stays true to herself all the way through. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.